A few weeks ago, I made the comfort noodle casserole in the Forks Over Knives Companion Book. We enjoyed it, but I wanted something similar but different. (My husband loved the recipe from the FOK book.) I changed so much, that I think I have a new recipe, but I wanted to give credit to the inspiration for my recipe.
- 1 pound of pasta (any shape, any type, but we went with multigrain, I try to avoid plain white pasta), cooked
- 2 shallots (or 1 medium onion), diced
- 1 8 ounce package of sliced mushrooms (I like baby bella’s)
- Sprinkling of Italian seasonings (I have a mix from Frontier of oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, and I generously sprinkled it on the cooking food, I didn’t measure)
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 tofu/seitan sausage link (Tofurky or Field Roast) – diced into small pieces
- I don’t advocate making a meal of meat substitutes, they are still processed foods, so I use 1 link for flavoring in a meal that will serve about 6.
One Morinu silken tofu package
One Jar of Trader Joe’s Pizza Sauce
Preheat the oven and put the pasta up to boil. In a sauté pan with a lid, water stir-fry the shallots or onions till soft. Add the mushrooms and seasonings (and add water 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to avoid sticking to the pan) Add the eggplant and tofu, cover and let simmer till the eggplant is soft. You might need to add water.
Add the cooked pasta and sautéed veggies to an 8×13 casserole dish. Meanwhile, in a blender, mix the tofu and red sauce. Pour the sauce over the casserole, mixing well. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Serve with a salad, and enjoy!